What does music mean to you? Is it just background noise, or is it life changing? I know for me, it falls into the life changing category. Music inspires me and often plays a role in my writing. I find myself getting as excited over a song as I do about a scene. Like everything else I'm obsessed with (writing, dancing, colorguard and winterguard) I'm a little neurotic about music. Of course, it all started in high school, in band.
Yep, that's right. This one went to band camp, and I LOVED it. Now, I know you're going to ask me what instrument I played, so I'll just let you down early. I was in colorguard. I faked my way through playing the clarinet for one semester. It was awful and didn't bear repeating (though it was truly hilarious to describe in detail how one went about actually playing the clarinet. Think about it...see! You have a dirty mind too!)
But, I'm getting off topic. Life is really all about the music. Without it, what would we dance to? What would we turn to when we were sad/happy/in love/angry? You can't tell me that listening to Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff on repeat when you're pissed doesn't help. It does! Music rounds out our lives. It's like the icing on the cake (and not that nasty butter cream crap, more like whipped cream frosting which is oh so delicious).
So here's where this relates to me (and my writing!). All of my books have soundtracks. I can play these songs and be taken straight into my story. Each song holds a purpose or a would be memory of a moment my characters experience. Sounds kooky, right?
I warned you I was neurotic. Pay attention!
For your enjoyment, since I know that most of you haven't read my books yet (and I promise I'm working on that. It's a longer process than anyone expects) I would like to take you on the musical journey of my series, The Stone Series. If you couldn't care less about my books, well at least you are going to get a schooling in some amazing music. If you're interested in my books, all you have to do is listen hard. The story is there, inside the songs. In time, when they're published, it'll all make sense.
So, I know it's quite a list of songs. If you're going to ignore it (after you've come all this way!!??) at least click on Snuff by Slipknot and watch the video (#17 under Rising Stones). It's EPIC! And hey if you're not going to ignore my list, listen to something new!!
For those of you that have read my series, ENJOY!
1. Oh Darling - Plug In Stereo
2. Weightless - All Time Low
3. Down On Me - Young Love
4. Summertime - Mae
5. Breathe Me - Sia
6. Gone So Young (acoustic) - Amber Pacific
7. 6 Months - Hey Monday
8. The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls
9. Shine - Amber Pacific
10. Your Guardian Angel - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
11. Courage Is - The Strange Familiar
12. Not Worth Today - Hana Pestle
13. Unafraid - Young Love
14. Storm - Lifehouse
15. Starlight - Muse
16. Cat and Mouse - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
17. Hear You Me - Jimmy Eat World
1. All That I'm Asking For - Lifehouse
2. Never Coming Home - Crossfade
3. Dance Inside - All American Rejects
4. Tonight Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
5. The Pursuit (acoustic) - Evans Blue
6. Need - Hana Pestle
7. From Where You Are - Lifehouse
8. Angels on the Moon - Thriving Ivory
9. Between You and I - Every Avenue
10. Somewhere - Within Temptation
11. Remembering Sunday - All Time Low
12. All I Wanted - Paramore
13. Happy the Hard Way - Every Avenue
14. The Ice Is Getting Thinner - Death Cab for Cutie
15. Shadow of the Day - Linkin Park
16. Memories - Within Temptation
1. Forgiven - Within Temptation
2. The Conversation - Motion City Soundtrack
3. Bleed - Hot Chelle Rae
4. Down - Something Corporate
5. Meteor Shower - Owl City
6. Uh Oh - The Scenic
7. Everything - Lifehouse
8. Last Straw - Cady Groves
9. Rabbit Heart - Florence and the Machine
10. Yellow - Coldplay
11. All I Need - Within Temptation
12. Cosmic Love - Florence and the Machine
13. Magic - Colbie Callait
14. Crack the Shutters - Snow Patrol
15. Thunder - Boys Like Girls
16. Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson
17. Snuff - Slipknot
18. Here We Stand - Amber Pacific
19. If I Fall - Amber Pacific
20. Have Faith in Me - A Day to Remember
Hey look! You made it to the bottom and I left a little treat down here for you! Leave me a comment about WHY I should send you a signed copy of my manuscript and I will pick one of you lucky people to receive it! Good luck!!