Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Acceptance


noun
1. the act of taking or receiving something offered.
2. favorable reception; approval; favor.
3. the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.
4. the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.

It seems to me that I've been confused about life, maybe misled about the entire purpose all together. I've decided (as of this moment) that life is all about acceptance. You get put into a multitude of situations on a daily basis, and whether or not you accept them determines your reactions.

Acceptance of 'things' seems like being a pushover to me. It always has. Why accept how things are when you can fight back? But what if fighting back is the root of misery? What if that passion to live differently is actually the cause of disquiet?

Acceptance.

I've always been stubborn, just ask anyone I know. Hell, ask my husband. Most days I surprised he can stand me. I have a lot of fight. I don't want people to walk all over me. But I'm beginning to realize that it's my desire for things to be different that makes me so, well, angry. I'm frustrated that things can't or won't change, but that doesn't stop me from fighting against them. Again we come to the word acceptance. Maybe if I didn't fight, maybe if I just realized that I needed to accept it, I'd feel better.

But then again, maybe not. Maybe I'd just feel worthless because I didn't try. I'd probably still be angry, regardless.

So if I choose not to accept something, but it's impossible to change, how then am I supposed to react?

Perhaps it is all perspective? If I change my perspective, then I'll be more given to acceptance? But then, how do I change myself? Perspective is ingrained, it's who you are, it's how you were raised, it's a gut-reaction.

Is the key to acceptance changing who I am? Who I've always been? This seems impossible all around.

And I leave you with some quotes (like a few words easily thrown together can change the will of man). (Wow- that was cynical).

“You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best you have to give.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt

“Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgement of the facts of a situation. Then deciding what you’re going to do about it.”
-Kathleen Casey Theisen

All the best,
Kacey

2 comments:

  1. Hey you don't have to accept every single thing. But I do think integrating it into your life will little by little, is the best way.

    Also, I put up links to our blogs until our "about Gandalf/Megatron" pages are ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sort of a give and take thing, acceptance. I try to pick my battles. Some things I'm okay with giving in to, others not so much. It's all about what you can live with. So this verse came to mind that the church drilled when I was young, “... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” I think it came from some popular book (heehee). Don't change you, it's the stubborn people in the world that get things done. Cheers! <3

    ReplyDelete