Tuesday, March 20, 2012

AMANDA HOCKING, HARRY POTTER, AND OTHER THINGS

Let it be known that I occasionally spurn fads, things that people fawn over, and media circuses. The one exception to this rule may be in books. Case in point: I just finished reading all the Harry Potter books last night. (The 7th is by FAR the best book in the series, even though she kills nearly everyone. I mean, seriously? Was that REALLY necessary? Was it?) I still need to watch the last two movies. Don't hate me, please, but it wasn't the best thing I've ever read. I know that they're books that changed a generation and blah, blah, blah, maybe if I started reading them when I was a kid, I would've appreciated them more. It was an interesting story, but she killed everyone I liked, which in turn made me bitter. JK Rowling is a genius, I'm sure (a very RICH genius) but suffice it to say, that I've read other, better, stories. That being said, (still don't hate me) I did ENJOY reading Harry Potter. But I think if I were to reread the series, I would start at book 5. The first 4 aren't really all that important.

So, once I put down Harry Potter, I picked up Switched by Amanda Hocking. She's yet another thing I haven't checked out solely because she got so much press. Perhaps I'm just a brat, but I'd read a couple of chapters of her zombie e-books and that was all. The more success she got, the more I took notice. I bought Switched on a whim when I saw it. Needless to say, I started reading it last night and finished it this morning. It was a fast read, with lots of action. More than that, it's the kind of book that reminds me why I'm a writer. It's all about the story, about the characters, not about how amazing the description is and how much symbolism she used or how many college degrees she has in writing. It was a fun read, captivating me from the first chapter, and what more can you really ask for in a book? If I had more time before work I'd head out and pick up the next one (though I'm not entirely sure if it's out yet).

Good for you, Amanda Hocking. You're sort of my hero. You're an inspiration to people like me everywhere.

In other news, I've decided to fully embrace e-pubbing. Shocked? Me too. I've had a suggestion and an opportunity come my way, and in light of recent occurrences in my life, I've realized that things don't ever happen unless you try. I'm not saying that I've conquered this mystery terror that publishing holds for me, heck no. I'm still scared of it. I have panic attacks just thinking about publishing, or even sending things to agents/publishers. But, I have a sort of safety net now. I have a great writing buddy, who kicks my butt when necessary (ahem, Missy, it's TUESDAY and I never received your word count) :) plus I have this cool contact from Scotland who saw through me and gave some tough love. And then there's this other person who's pushed me along much further than anyone and she didn't hardly try at all. Maybe it's all the confidence she has in me, confidence I don't have in myself.

It's not going to be a quick trip by any means. I still have a week and half left of guard season and another opportunity that I'm dealing with elsewhere, but I'm still here. I'm still trying. I'm a firm believer in fate and destiny and all those other things that normal people scorn. Maybe before wasn't my time. Maybe it's STILL not. But it will be, one day. Maybe soon, maybe later. What matters is that it will happen.

All the best,
Kacey

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's nice when inspiration hits you when you least expect it. Yes, publishing is a wonderous, horrible ride isn't it?

    You have a great attitude. I believe you make your own luck. So, the more you try, the better the chances you'll succeed.

    ReplyDelete