Friday, July 1, 2011

The Friday Five

I've been so focused on my writing (and my hectic life) that my blogging has slacked.  Here is my attempt to bring it back.  If nothing else, I will bring you the Friday Five!  (Which is nothing more than five things I want to share with you today!)

Number One:  A Piece of Advice

Do not attempt to write/edit/get agented/published without a HUGE support network.  Find a support group.  Meet a bunch of new people.  Get to know other writers.  Writing is an amazing thing that draws people together.  Here's a cool quote I saw on Twitter today: "There are no faster or firmer friendships than those between people who love the same books." ~Irving Stone  How true is that?  And thanks to Lit Gal for retweeting that awesome tidbit.  Writing has led me to amazing people--people I never would have met otherwise.  I now have friends that span across the country.  And the best part?  I know that I can turn to them if I need to.  SO! Dust off that friendly internet smile, you've got work to do.

Number Two: Dance is EPIC.

Anyone out there was So You Think You Can Dance?  Last week they had a performance that literally moved me to tears.  It was so good I'm tempted to write an entire novel about it.  To make things easier for you, I'm just going to post the link so you can watch it.  GO HERE. Look closely at the end.  See that gunk on Caitlynn's face?  Yep.  That's blood.  Her partner punched her in the face and it was still THAT amazing.  *Sigh*  Epic.  

Number Three: I have a terrible phobia of large objects.  

I know you all are snickering now because your minds are thinking dirty.  Let me EXPLAIN!! Geesh...  Please don't make me stand next to the airplane, it makes it hard for me to breathe.  The cruise ship?  Oh my god, I think I'm going to die.  Even worse, those fuel drums on that barge?  I think they're going to swallow me alive.  The Empire State Building?  Eeekk...HUGE!  (And yes, I've been to the top, here's a picture to prove it) Don't laugh at how terrible I look, it was a 14 hour bus ride in July with NO AIR CONDITIONING. 

Here's a few other things that freaked me out.
Fighter planes in San Diego.  It's a double whammy because they're on the USS Midway, which is a huge ship.
The Quebecois in the Sault Sainte Marie Locks.  
 Ah.  That's enough torture for me for one night.  Moving on.

Number Four: Thai Food

Thai food is kind of an obsession of mine, and it's recently discovered.  I could eat my weight in chicken pad se-ew.  Never had it?  TRY IT!!  It will rock your taste buds.  In fact, I haven't had anything Thai that I haven't liked.  Mmm Mmm Mmm.  I'm getting kind of hungry.  And make sure you get it spicy.  It's not worth eating if it doesn't burn your face off, too!  Oh soooo good.

Number Five: Share the love

It's a holiday weekend, so I'm going to give you my famous JUNGLE JUICE recipe.  It's really quite simple you see.  Make it, drink it, be drunk my friends!  (Except you, Riley Redgate!!  No booze for the young ones! :)

Ingredients:  
A fifth of rum.  You can really choose any kind.  It works well with parrot bay coconut and pineapple.  Also good with the the captain.  Mix two kinds, add more than a fifth, it's ALL gooood....
One or two large cans of tropical fruit.
One bag frozen strawberries or mixed fruit.
Three cans of frozen concentrated fruit juice. Mix it up!  Apple, blueberry, strawberry, mango, cranberry. (Use one of the cans and add six cans of water)  You can also use regular apple juice (or any kind of juice.  Open the fridge, scrounge, pour!)  If you don't use the frozen concentrate, don't add any extra water.  Be forewarned, if you use any dark colored juices, the punch may turn a funky brown color.  Have no fear! This does not affect the taste ;-)
Mix all ingredients together in a large punch bowl.
Get crunk.
For an added surprise at the bottom of the bowl, soak the tropical fruit overnight in rum.  Yum yum rum fruit!

This recipe has been tried and tested.  It's mother approved!!

Happy Fourth everyone.

All the best,
Kacey

4 comments:

  1. Ahahahah, man. Jungle juice would be inappropriate for the webmaster of In The Jungle... :(

    Also, BIG OBJECTS SCARE ME TOO! I didn't realize it until you said it, but they totally do.

    Hm, actually, only if they're man-made, but I was standing under the Eiffel Tower and sort of freaking out, and I was like, WHY. I'M NOT EVEN CLIMBING YET.

    Well, I guess you learn something new every day! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun facts! No. 1 by the way, is so true. Your writing journey doesn't have to be a totally solitary adventure...or you'll never survive it.

    I think the fear of large things is called megalophobia. Kudos to you for managing to deal with your fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riley- It's man made things for me too. Mountains and cliffs and the ocean are all cool with me.
    Cherie- megalophobia sounds SO dirty! Take it back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Number one rule is spot on!

    The funny part is your saying about not posing in front of a plane, and...well, there you are. Bet you were holding your breath the whole time. ;)

    I'm also betting Riley copied down that recipe for Jungle juice... whether Yodant admits to it, or not. LOL!

    I still remember what it means to be a teen. The mind never got past eighteen, anyway.

    Cool post, Luv!

    ReplyDelete